MCN is a global student movement addressing the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In partnership with the UN Academic Impact (UNAI), MCN is able to create a worldly community of passionate students. This year, 25,500 applicants from over 2,200 campuses across 153 nations applied for the fellowship. Only 120+ campuses worldwide (just 6%) have been selected to host 2,000+ Millennium Fellows. These fellows collectively work on advancing all 17 SDGs and 10 UNAI principles.
In the past, Lynn students have been able to showcase amazing work:
- One group of students managed to ban plastic straws in the Dining Commons.
- Another group created a non-profit organization to raise funds for Rwanda.
- One fellow created a consulting team to help for-profit businesses certify themselves as B Corporations.
- Another student started fundraising money to build an eco-brick school in Uganda.
In Fall 2021, a total of eight Lynn students were selected to work on their projects to help reach the UN MCN Fellowship goals. This includes the following students:
- Sonam Kumar: SDG #1 No Poverty
- Arianiery Juvier: SDG #2 Zero Hunger
- Cinthia Campos: SDG #4 Quality Education
- Zeyi Li: SDG #4 Quality Education
- David Lowthorp: SDG #5 Gender Equality
- Pratima Thami: SDG #5 Gender Equality
- Spencer Backman: SDG #13 Climate Action
- Nadia Volkova: SDG #16 Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions
Work is also being done to bring a new club—called One Love—to Lynn’s campus: “It is designed to empower youth to become advocates for their peers and champions of healthy relationships in their communities,” said Pratima Thami.
“This fellowship allows me to work on my mission, which is to help international students achieve higher education by mentorship and guidance,” said Cinthia Campos.
UN MCN is inviting the Lynn community to join the showcase fair on Thursday, Nov. 18 from 10:45 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. It is a great opportunity to learn more about the semester-long program and how it can help students take their social impact projects to the next level.